Re: The opposite of the Moon/Balance Rune ?

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 00:18:09 -0000

Nils Weinander wrote:

> I bet there are those who say that Moon is just a mask of Illusion.

Wishful thinking on behalf of the moon haters.

> Can't be a coincidence that the capital of the Empire is called Glamour.

Glamour is mind-altering magic, which pretty much sums up several of the Lunar powers.

I am not sure that balance is the core concept of the moon rune. Neither is reflection, not so sure about madness.

One thing I feel the moon does is place itself as a mask between two different realities, much like Gbaji did between Arkat and Nysalor.

And I'm convinced that both Arkat and his followers as well as Nysalor and his followers each fought Gbaji. The Sunstop may have caused a schism in realities on Glorantha, and if so, it took the final battle in Dorastor to reunite them.

The Glowline is a similar concept. Originally just the Silver Shadow had this moon surface effect on Lunar magic - there was a border even back then, and passing through it would change your perception of the moon's position in the sky - in my book, because the position is different in the reality inside the Glowline.

The Reaching Moon Temples manage to create domes expanding that reality into a resisting low-hanging moon reality.

If you can bear a more lunatic theory, all of the Red Moon is a mask. There is a rim on the top of the moon that marks the border of what can be seen, and I am convinced that it coincides with the shape of the crater. All of the Red Moon visible from below is also the inside surface of the Crater (which according to this theory would be a sphere), the mask being turned inside out. The area beyond the rim (not the Silver Shadow, but the missing part of the sphere) is mystical and possibly chaotic territory.