Re : [WorldofGlorantha] What's it like talking to a spirit?

From: hcarteau_at_...
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 12:23:30 +0100 (CET)

I'm starting my first Glorantha campaign in 2 weeks. I have a player who was thinking of a spirit as a patron. I'm using Griffin Mountain as a starting play and GURPS Ice Age for use as background of nomadic stone age technology. Are spirits just people and animals with no bodies who have been dead for a long time? What's it like to talk to an animal spirit? I assume some of them are intelligent, otherwise it would be pointless.

How do you treat spirits in your game world? /// As friends, who give valued advice. A character's relation with his/her spirits is unique, they came to him/her for specific reasons : he/she smells goods, took the time to make an offering of ripe berries, sweated the most in the sauna, who knows. Some of your spirits might even be lovers. Plus, you don't communicate the same with animal spirits, place spirits or your own ancestors. Animals and plants are indeed "intelligent", but only can communicate about matters they understand, with their limitations. Frex, wolves don't percieve colors and a stone spirit doesn't feel the wind.