Re: Sorcery not malkioni ?

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:08:48 +0800

On 12/02/2013, at 12:35 AM, zonork <zonork_at_...> wrote:

> At the dawn;
> Genertela was the land of theism
> Danmalastan that sorcery

        At the Dawn, Danmalastan was already destroyed.

> Pamaltela that animism

        Pamaltela mostly animists, but survived wars against vicious sorcerers.

> The East is the land of mysticism, divided the islands and orients more Kralora mysticism which is the land of draconism.

	The four way division of magic was arguably geographically true at the early Golden Age, though I'm not 100% sure that is true.
	But by at least the early Storm Age it certainly isn't - there are hsunchen and sorcerers in Genertela, Vadeli in Pamaltela, etc.

	By the Dawn, the neat four way division is already quite messed up, with hsunchen everywhere, Vadeli and other sorcery users over both Genertela and Pamaltela, Danmalastan mostly destroyed, etc.

> Of course, the magic won and lost territory, but animism and theism are close and theists or animist cultures have their own origin while all are vaguely malkionis sorcery.
> Why?
> A cons-example?

	Even if we take the word of the Danmalastan people (such as the Brithini) as authoritative, we have both one independent form of sorcery (Mostali) and non-Malkioni offshoots of the Danmalastan peoples who have their own sorcery.
	But other cultures (notably in the East) seem to happily wield sorcery without learning it from any of these peoples.

> and I know that there is sorcery in the East, how it related to Malkionis?

	Sorcery is in no way restricted to the Malkioni. There is Mostali sorcery, which appears to have arisen independently (though not fully independent of the Western sorcery, because the two cultures shared techniques in the early Dawn). There are many offshoots of Western sorcery that are not Malkioni, notably the Vadeli (who split off from Danmalastan long ago, and incorporated many sorcery techniques either learned from Mostali or developed independently) and the Waertagi. And there seem to be several sorcerous traditions that share nothing with Danmalastan derived sorcery except a basic approach to the world. Maybe knowledge of sorcery in the East originated with knowledge transmitted via far travelling Waertagi or Viymorni, maybe not. But if it did originate in the West, it did so so long ago, in the Golden Age, that by the Dawn it was already there, and divorced from the Malkioni world view.
	There are Golden Age (or in Eastern terminology, Cycle of Creation) stories about Vith's encounters with the first sorcerer, priest and shaman, who are all his children. As far as the Easterners are concerned, the three other methods of magic have been known virtually as long as the universe has existed - but known to be ultimately inferior to mysticism for more or less as long. We have no reason to doubt them.

	Cheers
		David