Re: nature of mysticism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_AzLY430_SAHAJCyyh-3JZGPMEn-bz2sUPV6D_hC3rdLu0i6c74mfBwel-ZpA1p37gs0>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 21:26:29 +1300

On 2/24/2013 3:14 PM, Charles wrote:

> There seem to be three magics that mystics get.
>
> Refutation - the ability to discard the effects of magic upon themselves. As everything in Glorantha is magic, for a 'powerful' mystic, this becomes pretty wide ranging.
>
> The ability to reveal a portion of the ultimate to others. Again, for a powerful mystic, when revealing this to the unprepared, it seems to be a devastating blow.

This seems to be an argument from the Hero Wars mysticism rules. Pretty much any gloranthan magician can discard or deny magic that has been cast upon themselves so I'm wary of making a special mystical deal about it. The same goes for revealing terrible secrets to the unprepared as this could be done by any magic (the Arkati Book of Secrets was used this way).

> Some form of prophecy or precognition. This is likely a side effect of their greater understanding of the ultimate rather than an overt power.

I think this comes from the mystics being men of wisdom rather than followers of the mystical path. I am not opposed to this but I fail to see why it should be a special ability of mysticism.

> Use of these powers for 'selfish reasons' creates attachments to minor parts of the world rather than to the ultimate and therefore is a step backwards on the path.

I would be a lot happier if people avoided speaking generically about attachments and the like and give examples of what it means to backslide. Let say:

  1. I am a warrior of Telask with a sharp and shiny sword to go with it. One day I become exposed to a foreign ideal and say "Hmm. That's not bad". What happens?
  2. I am a Sivoli Monk whose life is spartan. One day after a particularly traumatic personal crisis, I go on a bender involving hookers and blow. What happens?
  3. I am a serene student of the disciple of Personal Stillness. One day, I have a bitter dispute with the Master over a matter of doctrine and bashing his brains out with a candlestick. What happens?

> However, for a 'failed mystic' such as Sheng Seleris, who was just a slight step away from the ultimate, these powers are great enough to be able to bind all but the greatest of gods, and spirits.

I think focussing on Sheng Seleris or Oorsu Sara is a wrong approach because there are only two examples throughout myth and history. It's like describing only the Crimson Bat when trying to describe what's wrong with the Lunar Empire. Look at the Dragonewts. We know what happens to Dragonewts who go bad - they become Barbarians, Magisaurs or even Dinosaurs but not once has there been a Sheng Seleris-type dragonewt.

--Peter Metcalfe