Re: Arkat and troll illumination

From: Glass <glass_at_panix.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 19:54:42 -0000

Apologies o boztakang for my lack of speed but I found the reference.

> > PRE-BoNaD = UZ
> > POS-BoNaD = uzko / enlo / shadow-men

The text I was thinking of here is of course Jannisan's "Gbaji Secret" found in Lords of Terror & alluded to in yon GUIDE:

"The first to go were the trolls. They disappeared like shadows before the Sun, but this is what they have always done, and the Council was ready for it. After they left there was a whole tribe of humans who worshiped the Darkness, and who ate raw meat and did other disgusting and inhuman things to prove they were troll-worthy."

While this may be interpreted as reflecting the Council's efforts to maintain its structure by incorporating darkness men to replace departing uz, the ellipsis is still striking.

The trolls went away. In their place were revealed darkness men who do not appear in the story previously. Before Gbaji, uz in Peloria. After Gbaji, darkness men in Peloria, uzko linger elsewhere and enlo appear also.

While it is a sore subject some have noted that the uz are dying out and that people like the kitori have emerged in their place, only to themselves fade as Time dances on. All the elder races are supposedly on a fast or slow road out of Glorantha.

It's only the trolls (and to some extent the dragonewts, always weird) who have managed to live on in human cultures. With very limited and possibly allegorical exemptions, the aldryami don't breed with humans and leave no tribes of tree men behind when the forests go silent. And the mostali certainly haven't let any stone tribes behind in their long slow retreat.

(Have any mostali installations been abandoned since time? Where are they? Who recolonized Curustus?)

Given the absence of much elder race presence in historical Peloria, I wonder if this retreat-and-replacement motif isn't part of what Jannisan is fumbling for here. The Pelorians lost their digijelm a long time ago. Native dragonewts haven't been seen there in awhile. Now the elf forests have burned also.

The world changes.

> "Uz" has always been a loosish term comprising a large variety of creatures of varying descent. The most important and best, of course are the actual children of Kyger Litor, and the closer to the goddess, the better (uzuz > uzko > uzdo > enlo). But spirits, gods, shades, insects, and all manner of other things that go bump in the night can, and often are, considered part of "the folk"

I love the comment on the moondesign site looking into the relationship between Dehore and dehori. All cats looked black in the Dark.

But now the sun is up.