RE: Benefits to Agriculture of Gloranthan Rituals & Blessing

From: Sean Foster <ebaninth_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 23:33:57 +0800

OK,

So "Magic" provides significant benefits, but this just balances out the significant negatives of a "Magic" world.

Tollkin (locusts), Aldryami Environmental Commando's, Malia Disease's - which would make disease far more prevalent in Glorantha than the RW. But your magic healers cancel this. I suppose the survival rate of children would still be the same as it was in the Ancient world. Would Henry VIII have had the same problem with producing an heir.he could have spent a whole lot on fertility improvement and curse removal.

I presume with war, magic makes it more lethal. More death and destruction, but healing magics (at least) reduce the duration of convalescence/recuperation. I always imagined the Crater Makers to be akin to a battery of h4owitzers - maybe with a significantly reduce range. The Moonburn of those Rist? Elves..Atomics.

In essence the Magical World of Glorantha is more "Colourful", a more intense world that the RW. Higher extremes.

I certainly don't want to pull players into the boring world of agrarian economics (I apologise to the farmers out there) but I am trying to understand how 'full' the countryside of Sartar is? Is it 85% virgin forest. Can you walk through heavy forest across the whole region. Not so in and around the Orlmarth clan.

Google Earthing across the UK, south of Leeds, all I see is fenced fields and urban.

The Scottish Grampian Mountains seem a bit less intensely developed, except for the lack of trees (Damn those English!)I would think it Sartar.

Looking randomly at France, they seem to have some of these fields as polygonal plots of forest, but not that much better than the UK. Frances Pop is the same as the UK, but they have 3x the area.

Switzerland seems to be another step down but maybe my 3D isn't on.

Sumatra, was surprisingly forested - I presume rice, rain & volcanic soils is a significant multiplier to feeding your pop.

Sean