Re: Favourite places.

From: Scott Rogers <amaretto_sirloin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 02:20:03 -0700 (PDT)

That's a really refreshing idea for a campaign! I like the "tables-turned" approach to games, as it keeps peoples' eyes open. It's easy to go around as a 7'tall Stormbuller, hacking up the Lunars, until you've been one and realised they have families, deities , beliefs and hopes and fears too! We once played members of a Zorak Zoran warband in Tarsh, and it was fun realising that the Elves we were slaughtering were simply our dinner! The fatc that they were eaten made it seem somehow less wasteful! As for Evil? Well how can it be Evil if it's all you've known? (Ask a Shark!). By the way, have you ever read any of Robin Hobb's "Assasin" series? There is a process in those books known as "Forging", which is used by the mysterious Red Ship Raiders. This empties humans of their souls and life force, leaving a feral, ravenous animal that is still a living realtive/friend etc. They do terrible things, but are not evil, they simply don't know good from bad. Broo and Tusk riders are evil because they revel in atrocity. Oh, i digressed there didn't I/ Sorry!
Scotty

Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...> wrote:
My favorite place in Glorantha is Trond, our campaign's home island, in the Ygg's Isles. (Well, only 2 of our current group of characters were born there, but my character has been adopted, and that's where our current adventure is taking place).

Trond was once like any of the other Ygg's isles (cold, wet, and smelling of fish). While our band of merry wanderers was exploring and trading (NOT a-viking, of course), it was destroyed in a mysterious rain of fire from the sky whose origins we're still figuring out today. Now the island is filled with loathsome undead, which happen to be our ancestors. We had as little contact with the island as we could over the years (despite the harangues of our ancestors whenever our shaman tried to call on them for aid). However, one day, while we were in Sog City, a shipload of our ancestors sailed up in a ghost ship and demanded that we aid them.

A duke of Loskalm had landed on Trond and sought to take over the island for his own purposes. His wizards had ways to destroy the undead and disembodied spirits, using foul magics involving the sacrifice of "perfect girls" to set up anti-spirit plinths. Aided by armies of skeletons, zombies, ghouls, and bog men, we have managed to slow him down, and have undertaken many heroquests in the meantime. Our shaman is now the true king of the island, and we have managed to win a number of his peasants over to our side.

This has been one of the most exciting campaigns I think I have ever been in. I guess you'd have to say we were on the side of evil, since our allies and ancestors are the loathsome undead, but the Duke's sacrifice of young maidens isn't very nice either. Our efforts to rebuild our island magically and physically (using our heroes' motley resources, Loskalmi peasants, the angry ghosts of Trond, etc.) have been extremely stimulating and challenging.

Guy (Hoyle)

Yahoo! Groups Links