Re: Setting the scene

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_z4Hu3JQawESnupl9bPT3SxkQ9VLv_GTmlyisFuRQnWr1p98DJNZNqAMMy>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:21:02 +0000 (GMT)

Bryan wrote:
> I go into all this because this sounds like about
the right setting for the sort of small stead that we are talking about, and it has the advantage of having worked in the real world.

When we say small - how many hearths are we aiming at. Presumably Bryan's is just one. If it is just one hearth how about something like this:

  1. Bryan posts a description of the setting.
  2. As individuals or in small group, we write up and post our version of the stead. If all of us work on a one hearth stead, then too many cooks risk spoiling the broth.
  3. We set a time (2 weeks?) and word limit (1,500) to keep everything manageable and on-track. We could start the time limit from this weekend (2nd March), dependant on Bryan's ability to post the setting. Of course the list is avialble for idea trawling etc.
  4. We add our hearths to the files section.
  5. We then review the posted entries. We might aim to create one 'best of breed' from all the submissions, but keep the surplus material on hand for filling out other steads later.

Gentlemen, we need to get writing, not chewing over the possibilites. I think that gaining consensus among all of us might take for ever, so letting everyone exercise their imagination first then chewing over the results might be mopre productive.

Feel free to object wildly :D

Take Care,

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)
07970-411892 (M)
0207-337-6217 (W)

"Women as well as men were recruited to restrain combatants, sometimes dampening their weapons by throwing clothing over them. Peacemaking of this sort required srength and courage more than negotiating skills...The clothing was more sign than substance, like the bell signalling the end of a round, and it seems that the sign was not without significant cultual force." - Bloodtaking and Peacemaking by William Ian Miller

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com