Re: Setting the scene

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_T--aOadyoUWujIozjkSRLQt13crIKGG733SUMkLo8fmle0KnpXZoe1OBhiPMM7GDZ8p6>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:47:23 -0800

Ian:

> When we say small - how many hearths are we aiming at.

If we have a single bloodline stead of say 40 adults, one or two hearths would be all we'd require. Perhaps aone of two minor lodges for visitors, humakti, the lone Uroxi etc.

> 1: Bryan posts a description of the setting.
>
> 2: As individuals or in small group, we write up and
> post our version of the stead. If all of us work on a
> one hearth stead, then too many cooks risk spoiling
> the broth.

Hence the poll I've set up. Once we have Bryan's outline, we can work in small groups on a number of topics at once.

> 5: We then review the posted entries. We might aim to
> create one 'best of breed' from all the submissions,
> but keep the surplus material on hand for filling out
> other steads later.

Hopefully we can cut down the repetition somewhat by working in subgroups. This requires a willingness to go through one or two iterations of the material, and to keep each other informed of developments and ideas along the way. And perhaps a final editor to decide between alternatives if we get bogged down - I'd nominate Bryan for such a role on this part of the project.

> Gentlemen, we need to get writing, not chewing over
> the possibilites.

Absolutely! Obviously there will be some minor hitches as we get ourselves organised, but I have no doubt we can produce some top quality resources in a relatively short timeframe. The structure is more important than absolute detail. We can then open our data to the wider tribe, and ask individuals to deepen characters, round out stats etc to their heart's content.

> "Women as well as men were recruited to restrain combatants, sometimes
>dampening their weapons by throwing clothing over them. Peacemaking of
>this sort required srength and courage more than negotiating skills...The
>clothing was more sign than substance, like the bell signalling the end of
a >round, and it seems that the sign was not without significant cultual force." - >Bloodtaking and Peacemaking by William Ian Miller

This is gorgeous, and very timely. But sigs as commentary? Surely not.... :)