Re: Saunas

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_5P10kVsD1vKDwWvJbFksKCN1r9MOMeWpVTSq9RJAhQ7BcK1_wu2M5Rz-kEsOoiy8sB>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:45:39 -0000

Oddly enough, air is very important to surviving a sauna as hot as the Finns like it. I can recall taking a sauna with my grandfather. For starters I sat on a low stool, lower even than the bottom bench.

Second, and more relevantly, I had to move very slowly. You see, your skin holds a layer of cooler air to it. If you move quickly and blow that layer away, the air that suddenly touches your skin is about hot enough to make it shrivel up.

In Gloranthan terms, clearly it is your own "breath" that protects you from the fierce heat. And this is why men would take saunas so hot you could cook in them, to prove how powerful their own breath is, that it can let them relax and enjoy such conditions. More than machismo, in Glorantha it is probably literally true, so that the most powerful magically can take the most punishing heat.

All IMO of course.

--Bryan