Re: Saunas

From: o_leppa <oleppa_at_Za-lNPmkRZUOl9YmUWonkiZgIVWk4w7ktMNIeExqPpI4qCxo0jvVUAcJ80d-cfDQRr1MU>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:24:22 -0000

Peter:

<The idea on the table was that Orlanthi men might not enjoy closing themselves up in small rooms [snip] So how to get around the "runic issues?">

A proper sauna shouldn't be a claustrophobic space - or any more than normal longhouse is. And if we are talking of runic issues, I'd familiarize sauna to water and air (Heler/Orlanth), not earth.

<Also it's worth remembering that, among the Heortlings, "masculine and feminine" don't have all the same associations as they do in the western RW.>

As they don't in finnish culture, I am tried to stress that it's not like it is bad to be feminine but it is bad to relate sauna to feminine IMHO. To make sauna associated as feminine and Nandan is simply odd to me.

Ritual activity is obvious. In fact it is a ritual thing even today. To relate it to the Baths of Nelat is fine by me. Sauna was the place where children were born and dead prepared.