Re: Re: King Bee (and real comments)

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_qFPElBVWT2sPhDhGt-mcMg5ymbppWAKSWd_TnbnB0mX0gdGOb8CijrUUbxN9eL3gbNg7>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:10:17 -0600

At 4:22 PM +0000 2/22/02, Ian Cooper wrote:
>>I kind of like the honey thing, but I understand
>that we don't want an oddball stead.
>
>I think the honey stuff is great, but the idea for our
>first stead was to cut something basic, so it acts as
>a baseline to build from. Adding the honey stuff means
>we would need to take it back out to see a vanilla
>stead. Why not come back to 'unusual' steads later.
>Our aim is to produce more than one. When we get to a
>king or chieftan's stead, then there will be room for
>beekeepers and brewers. Right now though my vote would
>be to be a bit more vanilla with our first stead.
>Otherwise we may get bogged down. Save our sweet stuff
>for later.

        Well, OK, but we need to think about the "clan environment," too. A "generic stead" is all fine and good, but there's a limit to how generic we can make it without sacrificing all character. On the other hand, we could say something like:

The Workhouse -- This structure houses the primary work for the stead. If the clan has an economic specialty, it will be reflected here. Possible options:

  1. Weaving -- The structure is the Loom House and also houses any women's religious tools and items. It doubles as a ritual space for the women. There is an altar to Ernalda with a special image of Ernalda the Weaver. Inside are looms, storage for yarn and dyes, and other wome's equipment. Finished cloth is stored elsewhere, where it can be handled and moved by the men.
  2. Pottery -- The structure includes a roofed workspace, storage sheds, and a yard. It is ritually sealed mid-way through each Storm Season and reopened in Sea Season (usually on Homoring Day). There is an altar to Pella, storage for clay, glazes, and finished pottery, and two kilns. While the space is sacred to women, men may enter to help with the chores.
  3. Carpentry -- A larger structure, somewhat barn-like in appearance. Wood, tools, and finished products are stored here. There is a small altar to Orstan and Overdruva. The stead has several additional oxen and wagons for taking finished goods to the market.
  4. Produce -- There is no structure hear, but the barns and food storage sheds are bigger. There may be space for drying racks for fish or hides, sheds for tools, etc, depending on which of the Four Providers is paramount.

Peter Larsen