Work page, Resource Lists

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_kZw3iF_tE2kdE5DKqdntp_Za8wFJB2GsyV-qf7Mh4tCYWg6cHmG5XW3xIOszIfLtxCcW>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:17:26 -0800

Comrades

I've set up a work page for the project at

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/stead2.html

which I propose we use for in-progress work.

Please note it doesn't link in with the rest of Questlines, so save the link.

To get things started, I have put up three lists summarising and expanding some of our discussions to date. If you have additional items for these lists, please let me know.

I - POSSIBLE STEAD RESOURCES Crops and Garden Produce.
Domestic & Wild Animal products.
Herbs & Flowers for cooking, healing, dyes and ritual. Craft Products.
Clay - for potting and building.
Rushes suited for weaving baskets.
Hemp.
Flax.
Plant dyes - berries and flowers that make a good die. Madder, weld, and woad.
Specialty Woods (hickory for axe handles, cedar for chests etc.) Birch bark.
Pine Pitch.
Charcoal.
Peat.
Bronze Bone (valuable).
Iron Bone, Silver Bone Tin Bone, Gold Bone (rare and valuable!) Valuable Stones and Minerals, quartz, amethyst, flint. Amber.
Alum, which is dug out of the ground and used as a dye mordant (fixer). Salt: a salt lick or spring.
Fungi - rare mushrooms etc. for healing, eating and for dyes. Mosses (for healing, bedding and bandages). Animal Furs.
Breeding Stock.
Road & Ferry Tolls.

II - STEAD BUILDINGS AND FIXTURES - A CHECKLIST (Obviously, not every stead will have all of these, but I'm aiming for completeness).

Chief's Hall or Feasting Hall
Honour Lodges (meeting hearths)
Thane's Hearth (for weaponthanes)
Bloodline Lodges and sub-bloodline hearths Cult Lodges (dwellings for outsider cults like Humakt, Urox, Babeester Gor) Cult Lodges / Mask House (for shrines, storage of sacred objects, instruction)
Shrines or Temples
Outdoor Altars
Fyrd Hut
Treasure Hut
Practice Field & Target Buttes
Vegetable & Herb Plots
Palisade and Vinga Poles
Star Tower or Watch Tower
Ring Fort or defensive Cattle Enclosure
Byrnes and Stables
Loom House
Harmony Lodge (Mishap House)
Specialty Work Houses (see below)
Law Rock or outdoor gathering/worship place Sweat Lodge / Smoking House
Milking Sheds
Dairies
Granaries
Warehouses & Storage Sheds
Sunken Huts
Weaving and Potting Sheds
Tannery
Brewery
Workshops
Red Smithy
Barrel Hut
Pole Lathes
Outdoor Ovens and Kilns,
Storage Pits
Drying Racks
Butcher Stones
Rubbish Pits and Middens
Compost Heaps
Woodpiles
Building Stone Piles
Thunder Boxes and Privies
Sties
Road House (Guard House)
Corrals and Yards
Poultry Boxes
Animal Kennels
Thrall/Prisoner Pens
Mill
Uncompleted Buildings
Market Area
Wells
Votive Shafts
Apiary (Hives)
Dovecote
Fish Pond
Ancestor and Warding Poles
Burning Ground & Urnfield
Banner Sticks
Wind Vanes
Charcoal Pits
Silage Pits
Clay Weathers
Hurdles
Drains
Ditches
Stock Dips
Stone Walls
Collapsed Buildings
Wagons & Earth Sledges
Broken Wagons and other clutter
Boatyard / Jetty
Fishing Shack
Net Poles and Nets
Fishtraps
Mooring Poles
Herders Crofts (upland meadows)
Hunting Lodge
Standing Stones, Chalk Figures, Blessing Stones, Statues, Dolmens, Carvings or other sacred landscape objects

III - THE WORK HOUSES Weaving
Pottery
Barrel Making
Carpentry
Produce
Dairy

What did I miss?

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_2gZ6F_4MQn2bKNyeA3hcFCPo_1VPAW395l-Qaag-EtdjdJ6uWT84GXfx6tDtGatzY0MJjAQLYKwCuxs99cE.yahoo.invalid                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

All human beings have an innate need to hear and tell stories and to have a story to live by... religion, whatever else it has done, has provided one of the main ways of meeting this abiding need.