Re: Re:real comments

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_cH2Zp3QB7tp_Hgki-25XO-jtfCwJPb2t2SC4ZeyKESHBPPaj8loDVT5jpiVJDWNcJi7D>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:47:33 -0600

At 1:56 PM +1100 2/24/02, Robert Darvall wrote:
>Peter Larsen
>>The generic stead description in Thunder Rebels suggested that most stead
>>would have a couple >of god talkers, one male, one female.
>
>I see these god talkers as being the stead members with the best
>connection to a particular deity. Not neccessarily even high level
>initiates but the best the stead can provide. At least magical delegate &
>probably the bulk of the stead head to a larger centre for sacred time.
>Can we petion or pay for more powerful blessings in hard times? Granny
>normaly blesses the boundary stones each year cos shes been talking to
>Ernalda longest but this year the omens are bad so we'll get in the Gwyda
>from the clan to be sure.
>Basicly low level self sufficiency in magical matters with the right to
>call on the clan when you're up against it. Possibly a single crafting or
>hunter/gather Godi as explained later.

        I go into my ideas in much greater detail elsewhere, but I think this is roughly correct.

> IMO the link between magic & resources should be fairly strong. This
>means that the most capable exploiter of that resource has the strongest
>connection to its god. So a stead can have the Poverri Godi & shrine to
>same while being some distance from the clan centre. Giles point about the
>building which houses the craft also housing the shrine (or shrinelet) to
>that deity seems logical under this PoV.

        Yup and double yup, as I say at much greater length elsewhere.

I do think though, that the stead should have one commoditty it can produce in surplus, at least in reasonable years. Honey or fish (or magic for same) seem to be the current favourites
In a stead this size the majority of crafting probably_is_ done in dark season.

        Certainly most "headed for success" steads should.

Peter Larsen