Re: Population breakdown

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_gHKx70jANd3J-y3mWO7o9dyix1BJLXwOLSYIdNAYMGonIeEupdD0WQV0lv1VvQgI9q5H>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:17:29 -0600

At 7:07 PM +0000 2/23/02, Nick Brooke wrote:
>Here's some stuff I worked out for Sun County. It should help with the
>stead, too.
>
>Please don't read this unless you want to be rather bored.

        Not at all; pretty cool, and short, too.

>The key assumptions are:
>
>Population breakdown is 25% men (age 15+), 25% women (age 15+), 25% boys and
>25% girls. (As per Thunder Rebels p.18).
>
>Infant mortality is *relatively* low: just 14% of children don't
>survive the first year of life. This is compatible with what the
>old "Glorantha Book" from the orange box said about Gloranthan
>populations.

        So I guess that a) the various magics don't help _that_ much, especially since the dangers also have magic. For every healing feat there is a disease spirit waiting, the wolves are Telmori sometimes, etc. It's possible that more kids survive the first decade and die during initiation, since it's suppose to be dangerous. Additionally, if deaths during childbirth are lower due to magic, there are fewer breeding women what with Vingans and BB Gor followers, etc.

        OK, my figures for steads need to be doubled roughly ("Bailiff! Double him! Wuffly!"). Maybe Pat. and Mat. get some sort of bonus to their Keep Kids in Kontrol feats....

Peter Larsen