Re: Re: stead size correction

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_I5MVhrX95_OuLrzrWc22FsWBLhRfqE4C_j8tMSJ_eiwz_fXRAuDhIi_NOsbsHbxSGgU6>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:19:53 -0800

> At 6:15 PM +0000 2/23/02, jeffkyer wrote:
> >I would not want to go with 'change for change's sake' - the numbers
> >on 'Typical Stead' were reseached by John and Steve and I'm willing to
> >go with them.

I did only qualitative work on the steads: the numbers I believe, were from Robin's original draft, no doubt tested and expanded by Greg and Steve. You will note minor discrepancies from time to time in the various accounts of how steads work. My personal vision, by way of one example, is more 'communal' and ' extended family' than some of the descriptions. I go for (and described) bloodline hearths, the 'My stead' description on page 18 has 21 residences for 70 adults - that's nuclear family with a vengeance! (One of the ironies of Thunder Rebels was that my essays were intended as expansions and commentaries on the basics provided by Robin's original draft - a draft that ultimately was largely excluded. If only I had known :))

Which means that we have a great 'range' of normality to draw on, so we can go with what feels right.

> Well, yes. On the other hand, most (indeed, all) primitive
> societies do not have the immense range of "child-preserving" magics
> available to the Heortlings. I realize that this battle recently raged on
> another list, so I see no reason to bring it up further, though. If the
> general consensus is 50% adults/50% children, I'll go with it.

When we did the Sartar tribe figures, David Hall and I agreed that, by custom, children under the age of 5 are usually excluded from population figures, for the reasons you mentioned.

John

nysalor_at_-TFJBpuxBTjju5SveJzJW_q9JJsZYzQlBadHgdLfft4e4FnGlTvQnV9opbF5DawiKJkz5sMs_q7k5Czzk5tnIg.yahoo.invalid                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

I know a great name for our clan: The Ducks!