Resources thoughts

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_AkFq-jJUgGhs8HaMMY4qlV-Rvmf3M_jnaZudJEbVEVx7bYejr39YWP3LqKADjy_Geq>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:41:26 -0500

>A listing of resources, crops, crafts, shrines, wyters etc.

Wyters will be few, probably one for the stead and one for the transient hero band. Shrines will likewise be limited to one or two, unless the Buildings/Landmarks workgroup set a holy place in the stead's vicinity. I doubt there will be any specialized crafts, unless we want to introduce one. Barley, wheat and rye will be the primary crops, vital to the human stead population, though flax (for linen, canvas, rope and linseed oil), hay (for winter fodder), and oats (for protein and high-energy fodder) are important secondary ones. Vegetables such as beans and mushrooms also provide protein, potatoes and parsnips provide carbohydrates and vitamin C (essential when citrus fruits are unknown or unavailable), carrots provide vitamin A, cabbage and lettuce provide iron. Fruits such as berries provide vitamin C and A, apples and grapes provide carbohydrates and make potent alcohols when fermented. All fruits are low in fat. Herbs are also important, in both cooking and medicine, and an excellent herb garden is an asset to any stead.

Check out <http://www.freedomyou.com/recipes/Fruit%20Guide.htm> for an overview of fruit and
<http://www.freedomyou.com/recipes/Vegetable%20Guide.htm> for an overview of vegetables. See <http://www.bordglas.ie/index.html> as well for an idea of what Heortlings might plant. The climate of Ireland models that of Sartar fairly well, but Scotland might be a better choice. Still, the site is quite useful. See <http://www.spiceadvice.com/index.html> for an overview of herbs. I have approached Robin Wood about reproducing her superb article on healing herbs from "Different Worlds", and will transcribe and post it if she agrees.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_k1mNeHhyhfYcz0x4YtQZmIsEbt_BPJzUlKi5lgXY0-sni_03kGcpmS3MU9QFvtvyL0z15lbTBRhkSAo2Asmw.yahoo.invalid | and words, its slides and