Re: Re: God Talkers

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_5xw-9vqnfTYDIHZNAv3zVpKLr0JHoxCopQyoyU1CW0w1xLMie32BvR_Oy>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:37:49 +0000 (GMT)

>Michael Schwartz wrote:
>a stead with 70 adults and the same number of hildren
has two godi. Thus, the 1.5% figure is correct.

OK, I was only including the adults which would be about 3%, not 1.5% for two godi.

Peter Larsen:
>Yes, but godi and priests are not the only "religious

functionaries." Devotees, by virtue of their close connection to the god, serve religious functions as appropriate,

In which a case, IMHO, they are acting as 'godi', even if the clan does not consider them one. I have always seen godi as an informal position. If people start to turn to you for religous guidance, to officiate in their ceremonies etc. you become a godi. A congregation equals a godi, so to speak.

Peter Larsen:
>heck, a good sized group of player characters could
account for the bulk of devotees in a clan....

More importantly I would include devotees, with or without a congregation within this *religious leaders* figure anyway.

IMHO devotion, despite being the overwhelming choice of many player characters is not represented at anything like that level in 'normal' society.

The devotees 60% time requirement mean they need to be supported by the clan, and while I am sure that say a Barntar or Durev godi may fulfill some of that worship requirement in supporting themselves and their kin, they still need time to administer to the faithful.

The 1.5% figure is historically what such societies could support; I agree it feels too low for Glorantha, and would be happier with say 3-5% of *adults*, (2-4 members of the 70 adult stead).

As always though, YMMV, I can see that my predeliction for these figures may be just due to an inbuilt feeling that player characters make devotees seem too common.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)
07970-411892 (M)
0207-337-6217 (W)

"They were seven in all, and therewithal both sides rushed into the fight. Thorarin slew a house-carle of Thorbiorn's, and Alfgeir another, and there fell also a housecarle of Thorarin's; but no weapons would bite on Odd Katlason. Now the goodwife Aud calls out on her women to part them, and they cast clothes over the weapons." The Story Of The Ere-Dwellers Chapter 18

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com