RE: Re: Fyrd size & emergencies

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_rk-nrWhaURinZrdjQiElrj_Gu9AcQkIRoAl07tVhwJl8itTvNqPqWFjXT>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:59:25 +0000 (GMT)

> TR p.44 is clearer than Ian's note: "In the case of
local disasters, all able-bodied men and women will turn out to fight, but such emergencies are uncommon." I can't find a source for the "95% of adults" figure from his notes.

I can't either, and my use of the phrase fit for military service was unhelpful to the debate. Bad Ian , no biscuit. The closest reference I can find right now is p.29 '100 are old, weak, holy, or otherwise unsuitable for the fyrd' but the numbers in the examples overasll seem suspect when compared to the text, which I would be inclined to favor.

So let's just focus on the 20%, unless I can figure out where I got that other number from.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)
07970-411892 (M)
0207-337-6217 (W)

"They were seven in all, and therewithal both sides rushed into the fight. Thorarin slew a house-carle of Thorbiorn's, and Alfgeir another, and there fell also a housecarle of Thorarin's; but no weapons would bite on Odd Katlason. Now the goodwife Aud calls out on her women to part them, and they cast clothes over the weapons." The Story Of The Ere-Dwellers Chapter 18

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com