Re: buildings, lumbering

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_w3lIiG8OAnllRotGmEi_wx5BiTm0zLXmZZaoTQ0xiepbcf9hgNQfNWAQICAeG9BSpn>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:41:36 -0000

Yes, my great-grandfather emigrated from Finland, and when he eventually homesteaded it was in an area with quite a few Finns, so it was good Finnish tongue and groove log construction. Mostly done with axes and adzes, and the original house is still in beautiful shape nearly 100 years later (sheds and barn that were not built to the same quality have either fallen apart or been torn down). I'd love to have houses built this way in Glorantha, but it is not how you make long-houses. Have to slide it into some other culture.

> > Most likely the majority of firewood is gathered deadfalls, but
> there
> > is always a desire in winter for some big hunks of maple or oak
> > put on the fire, especially in the evening so that they'll burn a
> > good part of the night.
>
> If wood's plentiful, one is unlikely to gather dead wood as serfs
in
> medieval France I think.

But "stickpickers" are an established Heortling 'fact.' I'd rather have carls out enjoying the snow and cold felling mighty trees for their firewood, but we know the heortlings have a population of stick pickers, so presumably they do actually bring in a large part of the firewood, and they wouldn't be bringing down big trees.

Sad that, there is a strong lumbering tradition where I live, I'd love to be able to steal some of the colourful images

--Bryan (singing to himself "Big Joe Mouferault paddled up the Ottawa all the way to Mattawa in just one day, Oh Hey! Listen and I'll tell you what the old folk say...."