Re: Area of Steads lands

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_QBGeDUCHHilskckXyhAbeQtW09HMbEXoCDfDTwnZjxu_l7fe7_Dcg_daTz7ce3Z0vR>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 18:16:07 -0000

I have a strong suspicion that this depends heavily on the clan and stead. In general I'd imagine that the stead has essentially total control over the lands that they plough, and over the fields that they cut additional hay from, and over the pastures close to the stead. Expanding any of these substantially might require permission from the clan (chief or ring). I'm sure the clan can alter these holdings, but it would be a big deal type change (essentially punishing a stead or bloodline).

I'd imagine that they have traditional rights to certain other meadows where they normally graze, and to certain hunting areas, but that these would be largely a matter of convenience--of course each stead uses those areas that are closest to it. While you would not just casually go hunt in an area normally used by hunters of another stead, you could probably go directly to them for permission, and the clan may at times dictate certain use of these resources, and it wouldn't be such a huge issue ("The chief says to pasture Mighty Black Bull the fertile on the red hill, because it is hard to approach and he thinks the Red Fox clan are trying to steal her." "The chief and his thanes organized a great hunt for the silver stag, calling in all the clans most skillful hunters as they chased the animals for miles across the hills....")

There are bound to be some areas on larger, less populated, tulas that are hardly used by anyone, with nobody have clear primary rights. In smaller/more densely populated tulas I doubt this happens....in general the higher the population density, the more precise boundaries are apt to be, as available land becomes the primary limiting factor on production, as opposed to available labour in the less populated areas.

--Bryan