Good Ol Boys Drinking Whisky & Rye...

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_bBsSk4nlimlTylm0vVABdaH1YpwkfjmgtspGtNyaRrXu-HKS2F1EmeRvDKvld1Ybdn6e>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 22:06:41 +1100

> > >RYE: flour, fodder
> >
> > Forgot one very important other thing rye for which rye is used...
whiskey! :)

> Only by Americans; proper whiskey is made from barley :-)

"Them good ol' boys were drinking whisky and rye, singin... 'This'll be the day that I die...'"

Completely OT but this got me thinking about 'American Pie', the anti-rock anthem. Is the rye drink made from rye?. Is it the same thing as whisky? What then, is 'whisky and rye'?

(One of many small mysteries of a classic song, an eight minute meditation on the passing of Buddy Holly, JFK, The Weavers, the Sixties, roots music and American innocence, in just about any order you like. If I *was* drinking whisky and rye I probably start a long OT ramble on what it all means, and the mysteries of driving chevees to the levee... :) )

John

nysalor_at_lT4bqtjsvWtZDlIVeRaHE2bIXpAot3JdIH9eXVO5nvVn8zpgPbVoTFyV0JY95q-jPm6Z6J0JqpBf05zZq7XnXQ.yahoo.invalid                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

The cloaked one's hero heat shakes wide the city wall. With feat and spear and magic bolt the final rite begins. War-band's white bull, a dragon in strife, Feeds he most fulsome the dogs of the Death-Lord.

The Righteous Wind returns to range free! Open your arms, let it hurl against your faces, hair and eyes streaming. You have breath,

               voice, limb and power.
Hurricane rebels, what you must.