Re: Our Ernaldan Ring Member

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_j3OWPc37DUP599soBV6SvzNR-_lGycG_4W1WXAv8ZtdzwBrID83hncnbJKNxQ6IuXX>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 20:35:15 -0500

John Hughes wrote:

>I find such a distinction a very odd
>one to make for the Heortlings.

Yet the distinction *is* made, in the last paragraph of Goddess Cults as Growth, on p. 19 of STORM TRIBE. Specifically: "If duty or goddess take a mother away from this daily task, then she must effectively abandon her child to perform her job." I simply do not feel Ernalda the Queen is a mother's god.

>A good deal of extra-clan dealings (the
>politics of marriage and alliance) are
>also family based.

Why then is Vela an Allmother subcult in the first place? Because it is a clan-centered cult rather than purely political like an Ernalda the Queen cult would be. I envision Ernalda the Queen as the aspect of Ernaldan clan chiefs, chief priestesses and *tribal* ring members (in other words, the *serious* leaders).

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_5RVYTi0S6yqZ92ZAwJO2iD63re0RenOp3LlnFJtl0_2MS3Bum-i_kQ2Y434NczDwJb6_Hdew-qaLlJHSbdCq5g.yahoo.invalid | and words, its slides and