Re: Our Ernaldan Ring Member

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_pf8u2WmC5RZRc4GChFNvfoJ97QKGaedBd3ca6626KUN64u2eJ4gB2G1347yp6N1nTR>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 19:38:38 -0000

> Frankly it's a little late in the day, now that the work's been
done. (And
> done well).

I have to admit I disagree with this view. With all due respect, just because any one person or group has worked on something should not, I think, make it cast in stone. There are bound to be various bits which, once exposed to the broader group, create difficulties.

I agree that the creators should probably have final say, provided the whole rest of the list isn't against it, but a good debate about the subject is not unreasonable in any circumstance.

Personally I don't have a problem with Vela the Queen, but reading through the write-up, she doesn't particularly strike me as an Ernalda the Queen type. I guess the real question is does she worship Ernalda as Queen of the Earth (and Storm) tribe, or as the great Mother. The write up suggests, to me, that her focus is more on family matters than on political ones (although as somebody has said, with the heortlings the two are never far different).

I could live with her being left the way she is. However, I'd have no trouble, and might even be a shade happier, with her aspect changing, or with a few words being added to her write up, to the effect that "she has a keen appreciation for the political implications of every match, and the subtlety of her vision is such that sometimes her aims only become clear years or decades later." Basically giving a more long-term/political slant to her works. Or, for that matter, with aging her a bit so that she is now Asrelia/TKT.

> 20/20 hindsight is wonderful, but let's not throw away the good
stuff that's
> been written to date: carry this forward as a learning point for
our next
> stead.

Well, actually, that would have to be for our next _clan_ since this is the clan ring. Presuming that we'll do at least a little work on some of the other steads of the clan, and expecting that at least a couple of play groups might decide to use this as their home clan, the decision made will have some lasting impact. I agree that I don't want eternal debate with nothing ever decided, but I think the final result will be richer if we are each willing to work at blending our work with everyone else's, so that we get more subtle hues in the end.

Regards;

--Bryan