Re: Clan and Stead Populations

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_i7cDHf2kFPs6jB_iQ03FfpwV34LtWN5Gg7hqygpfrohCSsG6jcPDa1wKK0jOk2MOxq>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 13:59:41 -0000

I was just looking at this and thought it was very useful, but that some of the age groupings might not be fully self-evident. Thinking some more, I see a couple of age grouping and labelling tweaks that could be used.

Perhaps instead of tweens (since in the RW that is now being used for the 9 - 12 age group), we could put in "1st initiates" or something like that. After all, what the Heortlings will care about, when saying how grown up someone is, is are they unitiated, initiated to the storm tribe, or initiated fully to a god. Also, when figuring out how many people are available for community support, the fyrd, etc, I think these same issues arise.

Looking at kids, I recall from my wife's medeival law studies that in at least some European societies a child was an "infant" with no legal rights until age of 7 (or 6 or 8 elsewhere), but after that age was considered to have some concept of right and wrong and limited ability to give testimony, etc. With how 7-centric the Heortlings are, this would seem to be a natural division with them two...especially when first initiation happens generally at 14 or later. So the children age groupings could be 7 and under (or call it infants or younger children), and older children (8 to first initiation).

Just some suggestions that make sense to me, feel free to use them or not as you see fit.

--Bryan