Re: Clan and Stead Populations

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_usR7oWJ6VrW9KLmaFN1E2JP4fI95CsxlyKecxgxQLxxKm3li39n91qs4bTh8pxtT5J>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:55:08 -0500

Bryan Thexton wrote:

>I recall from my wife's medeival law studies
>that... a child was an "infant" with no legal
>rights until age of 7, but after that age was
>considered to have some concept of right and
>wrong and limited ability to give testimony...

This is true, and roughly corresponds to the age at which a child would assume a small share of household responsilities in the culture. In western feudal cultures, 7 was the age when a child would routinely become a page.

>This would seem to be a natural division with
>[Heortlings] especially when first initiation
>happens generally at 14 or later.

I agree, and think the younger/older distinction is enough. We have three tiers of adulthood after all, and younger/older/tweenager (until we find a new term) covers children.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_Hl4EqTh_WNQYu1OBcdU0vBEGb9angt9NgsCjKHc3ItoyE84zV3iwoe4983NFbtfEX1jWNKUM-TXP6eZ5ZmxaJcap.yahoo.invalid | and words, its slides and