Re: Clan and Stead Populations

From: Giles Hill <giles_hill_at_xQEzkW-2jqHMdEA9WTqQ9rKAH-E4wrCh_R8yWo8U-nnstVG0TcDYamjG-TaTy9V-y>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 06:37:09 -0800 (PST)

Michael is right. I believe in the olden days we used to call the sort of thing a "God learners explanation". Its just an aid to help our 21C brains understanding, doesnt have to be anything that the Heortlings use. G
  Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_E0D8iagiE3pbdP_xlUQ1OzTa7TvWDrXY84saWxn2kIkOUsj7-7DVMTjI0l1O4dVg8lxeX0PF1slJ5FWluwMcuQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote: Ian Cooper wrote:

>Their age does not seem to grant them
>any kind of in-between status.

In the real world, however, distinctions *do* occur. The suggested Newborn, Younger and Older categories are useful ones, and could be explained as being "unspoken rules" within Heortling culture. Every real-world agrarian society of which I am aware distinguishes between children who are mature enough to contribute to the day-to-day labor and those who are not, even if no one in the society would think to lump those children together into a group by name. Our need is to provide prospective narrators with numbers that work for Twenty-first Century mindsets, yet do not derail the mythopoetic focus of the setting.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_E0D8iagiE3pbdP_xlUQ1OzTa7TvWDrXY84saWxn2kIkOUsj7-7DVMTjI0l1O4dVg8lxeX0PF1slJ5FWluwMcuQ.yahoo.invalid | and words, its slides and

If you understand, then things are just the way they are.
If you do not understand, then things are just the way they are...............

Zen koan