Re: Clan and Stead Populations

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_k79cteUJoQPvn4GDSDFCtOjpUi05_0fqh6Wemd93ufbD5VTFWBp4XHpnfRWaNTA7-E>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:53:17 -0500

Giles Hill wrote:

>It's just an aid to help our 21C brains
>understand... doesnt have to be anything
>that the Heortlings use.

I think the Heortlings *use* it, they just would not recognize that they do. A child who is old enough to work is still a child, as is a child who is too young to work. What categories do is give us a shorthand, rather than having to write "child who is old enough to work" all the time. :)

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_A7Bp8fHyDFMonEX7TGaHJgR90FmoBVAXCpKslp2eUn4PSOVbZ54IVQNQykQTh_RqDvkLiopYUPkRORgLC0LAZjE75A.yahoo.invalid | and words, its slides and