Re: Tweaking the Age Distribution Table

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_TjFavkddWdRz6U0a6MMqWzr4BXAvj63zwj1rizhG0HxRQmRflm7yrvxzgK7WA2WZJxe4>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 18:19:38 +1000

I received this from Yves Dorémieux after he visited the Stormsteads website. With his permission I am reposting it here.

John

Hi !

Don't you think that among such warlike people as orlanthi (not even considering hunting accidents) you should have a much higher male than female young adult mortality ? (Female birth-giving deaths should have a different age distribution than male battle deaths, and are probably much more uncommon than they would be in RW cultures of a similar technical level due to the activity of earth or independent fertility and harmony cults, while lower healer availability on battlegrounds and in the wilds than in the stead insures a still very high male mortality. In such well-studied warlike cultures as the Jivaros or Asmats, a whole 2/3 of twenty year old males don't make it to their thirtieth birthday !)

I also feel your children mortality to be somewhat high, as 4-years old would probably not stray far from the stead and its powerful healers, but it's probably more disputable.

One comment on diseases and malian influences : once again, and contrarily to the RW, men are probably higher casualties than women or even children, as they have much more risks to run across broo-contaminated areas during the course of their farther-ranging day-to-day activities than their stead-staying wives and children. Gloranthan epidemiology is fundamentally different from RW !

Thanks for your fine website,

Yves Dorémieux