Re: Tweaking the Age Distribution Tables

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_LjIhmZDiRzPMMBWwkSkX8h0MQERLOSqHwnZ84HDxUtMSxWkwbaSWDncDPHqUPkrpS5n4>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:28:39 +1000

> Get creative, people! Statistics are ultimately meaningless guesswork,
> and we can count beans until we all pass out from boredom.

You seem to be missing the point Michael. We are working the statistics NOW to produce a powerful tool that will save GMs from having to work statistics in the future. Getting the Age Distribution Table right means GMs will be able to generate realistic clans on the fly, with very little effort. Something as basic as whether women are constantly pregnant has tremendous implications for the steads we are building. If you have trouble seeing the reality behind statistics, then of course you can ignore this thread. Demographic statistics are not "meaningless", they define and limit the reality of the people they describe. The conversation to date has been marked by close and meaningful research rather than 'guesswork". We all can cite examples of situations where imprecise thinking about Gloranthan reality has produced problems down the track. We're trying to avoid that here. Some of us find the challenge and its solution interesting and relevant.

Broad strokes
> are better than picked nits, in my opinion. We want to create something
> other people will be able (and *want*) to use, not just us. "Keep it
> simple, stupid" should be our watchword, even as we strive for
> completeness.

I have no idea how this statement refers to the above. Constantly pregnant women are more than a 'picked nit'. Why would people want to use a flawed age distribution table over one that works? And once we have produced one that does, and tested it, how would most of them tell the difference anyway, except that their clan is not drowning in children and the mothers have realistic family sizes?

Cheers

John