Implied mortality rate of population chart

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_0iv_ijc24uFTlvkifckZA4rTi6D4t3AJuaz_jl5QvyiuSIeotoM6BIsseJKLWiqs>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 07:22:52 -0700 (PDT)

<delurk>

> From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_oabF5y5i0KT-Xk2C2tEHKhm1tpJtnGtm1t-44a_IMdUdyjZHuoc7OhY93zxLROaJ6S8kJVoX26AMnLOpKnks9cmH.yahoo.invalid>
>
> For Swensstead this gives us:
>
> Male Female
> CHILDREN: 40 total
> Newborns: 4 4
> Youngsters: 12 12
> Initiands: 4 4
>
> ADULTS: 40 total
> Young adults: 8 8
> Mature adults: 8 8
> Elders: 4 4
>
> This leaves us with 16 women of child-bearing age
> for 8 newborns.

However, it may imply as very high infant & childhood mortality rate. Check my math!

I assumed that the youngsters category applies to something like 12 years of life (say age 1 to 13?). That averages to about one Youngster per year. More or less the same math applies to the initiands category. It looks to me like 2 or 3 years of life, with four kids in it. So about 1 or 2 per year. However, we have 4 kids born this year. So, 2 or 3 of those will die before they turn 14 or so. That would be 50% or 75% of each year's kiddies.

Chris Lemens

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - online filing with TurboTax http://taxes.yahoo.com/