Land of Thunder

From: Goihl & Fahey <glorantha-board_at_rpglist.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 22:35:45 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C40239.087CBB00 Content-Type: text/plain;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

>>Do you really think the WB&RM system went faster? I don't see
>>the DP system as taking longer, except for things like the
>>diplomacy part in a full game.
>
>Yup. No counting out casualties after the result, no checking for
>disrupted units. The concept of archery over 5 mile hexes is
>ludicrous anyway. Having played both, I find WB&RM far faster.

Counting casualties takes long? Dealing with disruption isn't much = either. Missiles aren't supposed to represent shooting at five miles any = more than melee is supposed to be with units five miles away. It is = assumed that within the space of a one-day turn the units engaged are at = some point close enuf for these operations. But trying to apply WB&RM rules to situations which weren't considered = when writing them does take time.

>>DP doesn't have more than a few more pieces than WB&RM.

>Even apart from the extra units, every magic unit adds an
>extra counter for it's effect (although NG did that with
>Shamans and Fetches).

That's hardly many pieces, and since they're just part of the magic unit = and spend little time on the board it's not much to deal with. If you = want to make it all faster you could just drop anything which takes time = and only use half the units. I prefer more myself.

Daniel

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C40239.087CBB00 Content-Type: text/html;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&gt;&gt;Do you really think the WB&amp;RM system went faster? I =
don't=20
see</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt;the&nbsp;DP system as taking longer, except for things like =

the</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&gt;diplomacy part in a full game.<BR><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&gt;</FONT><BR>&gt;Yup. No counting out casualties after the = result, no=20
checking for<BR>&gt;disrupted units. The concept of archery over 5 mile = hexes=20
is</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;ludicrous anyway. Having played both, I find WB&amp;RM far=20
faster.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Counting casualties takes =
long?&nbsp;Dealing with=20
disruption isn't much either. Missiles aren't supposed to represent = shooting at=20
five miles any more than melee is supposed to be with units five miles = away. It=20
is assumed that within the space of a one-day turn the units engaged are = at some=20
point close enuf for these operations.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But trying to&nbsp;apply WB&amp;RM =
rules to=20
situations which weren't considered when writing them does take=20 time.</FONT><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;DP doesn't have more than a few more pieces = than=20
WB&amp;RM.<BR><BR>&gt;Even apart from the extra units, every magic unit = adds=20
an</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;extra counter for it's effect (although NG did that with</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;Shamans and Fetches).</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That's hardly many pieces, and since =
they're just=20
part of the magic unit and spend little time on the board it's not much = to deal=20
with. If you want to make it all faster you could just drop anything = which takes=20
time and only use half the units. I prefer more myself.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Daniel</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C40239.087CBB00--