Re: Rules comments

From: Chris Ward <glorantha-board_at_rpglist.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:50:54 -0000

Hi Folks,

No real need to ask, most of you were involved in writing the thing anyway. I'm still here, lurking away, this is the only gaming list I am still on (I think). (I got your email this morning too, Daniel, and will reply shortly).

 I lost pretty much all my Gloranthan gaming collection to flooding in a friends basement where it was boxed up, but fortunately NG & DP were in a box in my flat and escaped. This was probably a major factor when I bit the bullet and sold off most of my Cthulhu collection to (i) clear space & (ii) raise money for other types of book (well, actually the priorities were the reverse of this order, but don't tell Babs that :-)). So not only do I never game, but these days I own very little gaming materials.

IIRC at one point the images for the counters we made were all up alongside the booklet, but I think the Rhinos image was for some reason about half size. (The counters I printed up for 2 Convulsions back all came out slightly too big too, which was a shame).

It is a pity that the old archives of the group are offline as many fun ideas were searchable there. We also had various versions of a very complex but fun random events table for NG that never quite got finished and housed on a web site IIRC. The other thing I used a lot was the random place generator which Steven wrote for NG. I used it (slightly modified to add in a few more places, replacing "doubles") at set up to place the herds for the tribes, then drew randomly an appropriate number of other tribal units to place around the herd (shaman & khan mixed in with clans, draw herd support plus one worth of units, then an extra if either leader came out: the last herd or 2 would only get supports worth). I would reroll for places already "taken" until all were full. I used this for a semi-random set up. In fact I quite often set up and played the first few turns of games on my own (how sad :-)) , I always enjoyed setting up a game like this, but generally felt that 3 tribes was the ideal number, perhaps as it was a reasonable number to mess about with on your own (sniff). One thing which setting up like this brought home to me was that each tribe has (total support value of herds + 3) worth of clans (except sable who has total +2) : but as impala have 8 herds rather than 5, this leaves them with 4 herds only protected by support worth of clans (as opposed th support +1), making on average impala stacks/groups the softest targets even ignoring the relative strength of clans. (Although they are more likely to have a 2nd group of impala units nearbye than the the other clans are to have backup).

Yikes, talk about random thoughts, eh ? Anyway, nice to see messages popping in the mail box about DP & NG and to "hear" from you all again.

Hope everything is going well for you all. Cheers - Chris

ps. These days I mostly inhabit alt.books.ghost-fiction, and horrabin_hall & Haunted_Bookshelf both _at_yahoo groups. Although I recently "bumped into" Keith at another yahoo group where I occasionally lurk (ZothiqueNights). If any of you inhabit those places, say "hello".

On 4 Mar 2004 at 18:33, Goihl & Fahey wrote:

> Great!
>
> Let's ask Chris first, just to be nice. Could you link that with something so people might find it
> better?
>
> Daniel
>

> > How many people have the Raider's Digest? There had been a plan to put it
> > on a website but now I think none of us have it on computer, but only on
> > paper. I try to give the booklets to people but not everyone comes to
> > cons.
> Joerg:
>
> I have a 90 k Word (win 95) document on my machine. I can put it up my
> website, if there is no other place you think it should be.

Chris Ward

cw67q_at_udcf.gla.ac.uk
Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories
Garscube Estate