Hungry Jack

From: buserian_at_juno.com <buserian>
Date: Tue Jan 17 06:21:42 2006

Hi Keith,

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:30:12 EST Labrygon_at_aol.com writes:

> > BTW, is anyone else totally unhappy with Hungry Jack? I've only ever
> > seen it come on the board once, and that was in a 28 turn game with
the
> > obvious winner totally bored. Any suggestions on how to get it
working?

> I've never seen it used much either, although I did do a few games
where I
> sent the Green or Red Dragon off as soon as I got it and then came back
with it.
> It is quite a good way of reserving some dragonkill for later AND
Hungry Jack

I have always thought Hungry Jack a terrible waste of a dragon, so never bothered.

> is quite useful if you can stack him properly (eg - you can suck people
out
> of fortifications) bit reall, I think you need to write a scenario that
starts
> the game with it. Somehting involving Sir Ethilrist I would think.

Except this really wouldn't make any sense, in a Gloranthan sense, because why would Hungry Jack BE in Dragon Pass at the start of a scenario? As I say in my other message, I'd just remove it. There are much better uses for the slot HJ takes up, like adding a treasure or something. (Actually, my "revised battalia" plans are based on a 336 counter mix, like the French edition of Nomad Gods, so instead of being able to add 36 units, by eliminating Hungry Jack we could then add 37 units.)

On the subject of eliminating units like Hungry Jack, what other units in the game are worthy of deletion? Whose loss would not really be noticed much? Twin Stars is one, for me, just because they can ONLY show up as a Random Event (an event for which, I might add, Sartar does not have an equivalent). BUT, because of their importance in Prax, I would want them kept simply so they could be used in combo games with NG. However, I would definitely make them simply part of the Lunar Battalia (along with 3-5 other Lunar spirits, as well as adding 4-6 Sartar spirits and several independent spirits, like Chalk Man), and remove them from the Random Events Table.

> On the subject of scenarios - I think that there is potential to write
a few
> more DP scenarios. Perhaps someone could come up with a 'Battle of
Iceland'
> scenario.

That would be a bit difficult, if only because of the sheer number of heroic individuals who would simply be subsumed within a single counter. That is, I would write such a scenario such that Kallyr, Orngerin, and ALL of the other rebel leaders are simply represented by a single counter -- Argrath.

And if you can't have individual counters for each of the leaders (and I don't see that you could, at the DP scale), what's the fun in that scenario?

Steve