Re: glorantha-board Digest, Vol 3, Issue 46

From: buserian_at_juno.com <buserian>
Date: Sat Jul 28 22:50:58 2007

Hey All,

Haven't done much with email the last month or so, busier than usal.

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 04:33:15 +0200 "RQ Subs" <rqsubs_at_gmail.com> writes:

> > Which reminds me, I am sure i have asked before, but does the Dwarf
> > require a roll on the Emissary Table, or does the Gifts table replace
the
> > normal allying process?
>
> I just got Dragon Pass a few weeks ago, and I agree the Dwarf write-up
is
> ambiguous. my gut instinct is that there are 2 rolls. my reasoning is
that
> if it is one roll, then it's very very easy to get gifts from the Dwarf
!
> i.e. for every other Minor Independent, a 1 or a 2 results in the unit
and
> every unit stacked with him being eliminated, but if there is no
seperate
> Emissary roll for the Dwarf, there is only a 17% chance of death, while
for
> other Minor Independents there is usually at least a 33% chance of
death. Is
> the Dwarf super-friendly ?? I know this list has been around for a log
time
> though, and I'd be curious to hear what the consensus opinion on things
like
> that are ...

My recollection is that The Dwarf must be allied as normal. If you are successful, however, you do not automatically get The Dwarf himself -- you roll on the table to see what you actually get.

> also, ROADS ... do they continue in hexes with town/stockade/fortress,
or do
> they stop before that hex. my feeling is that they continue, as each
hex
> covers some miles of distance, the town/stockade/fortress only take up
> small fraction of that distance, and the rules say that moving ALONG a
road
> is equivalent to ¨if a road crosses the hexside between the two hexes¨
[
> 6.1.2] ... well, the road *does* cross the hexSIDE into and out of
hexes
> with towns/stockade/fortresses. but again, I'm curious about the
consensus
> on this among long-time players of Dragon Pass ?

If a town/fortress/whatever is along a road, and you don't stop in the hex, then you simply stay on the road and get the normal road benefits. If you stop in the hex, then you stop moving and instead get the benefits of the habitation, if you decide to enter it.

Steve