Etymology; Bloodlines

From: via RadioMail <David>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 00:11:16 -0800

[I don't recall seeing this on the RQ Daily, so...]

Nick Brooke conjectures
>Urox = Aurochs, surely. Not Norse.

I read it as Germanic: ur-ox, as in original ox. Or as in the term you use in another reply, "ur-Orlanthi."

I promised more info on East Ralios bloodlines. Ingkel Hundred-Fighter (who was the Thane of the Belovaking clan in Delela) has 15 great-grandsons (and 15 great-granddaughters, who will marry into another bloodline), as determined by whatever random process I was using. Of course, most of these men will get married, so their wives will join Ingkel's bloodline. If all the parents of the 15 are still alive, there are another 12 people. This gives a bloodline of 42 people. A clan would have dozens of them. (I don't pretend these numbers are authoritative, but the bloodline of Kolla Head-taker is of similar size, FWIW.)