Human spirits in fetches; recyclin'

From: Colin Watson <watson_at_csd.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 15:06:34 GMT

Steven E Barnes wondered what would happen if a Shaman held the spirit of newly-slain human in his fetch.

A couple of folk understandably suggested that the spirit is a Ghost with the abilities thereof. But consider this: traditionally ghosts are capable of initiating spirit combat and are able to posess bodies of the living. Why don't the spirits of the newly-slain attack their killers to posess them? Or is this a common practice?

I doubt that spirits of newly-slain are Ghosts (at least, not normally) otherwise there would be a hell of a lot of 'em around causing a hell of a lot of trouble.

It could be that they become Ghosts if they hang around long enough for their STR DEX & CON to dissolve; but most choose instead to toddle off into the afterlife before then.
_

Can you force such a spirit to cast its spells for you (without releasing it) or is this the preserve of Magic Spirits?

Sandy:
After some thought I think your theory of Intellect Spirits as spell recyclers is cool for spirit magic spells, but I'm less happy applying it to Sorcery.

Sorcery spells aren't usually picked up from spirits but instead they're learned through study from books and such. How does this fit with your law of Conservation of Magic? It seems the knowledge of sorcery spells can arise spontaneously rather than there being a finite number of instances of each spell. Are Sorcery spells learned at the expense of some other magic phenomena?

___

CW.