Census of Sartar

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:04:57 1997

The Sartarite cities may well hold a bit over 10% of the total population of Sartar, IMO.

The map of Boldhome makes it clear that there live a considerable number of farmers with farmland inside the city precepts (inside the walls doesn't really say much about Boldhome), and possibly numerous herders' families live inside the city, with their herding grounds in the high valleys between the Quivin Peaks in summer, and either in stables or lower valleys close by (along the royal road to Jonstown, for instance). The other cities lie in less precarious terrain, so that a high number of city-dwelling farmers are possible in these cities.

From the glimpse on some friends' work on Jonstown (they work on material by Greg) I'd estimate its total population as closer to 4000 than 1500, which still is quite low for a city sporting the greatest university of the country. Well, Canterbury during the 6th and 7th century might be a useful comparison for size and cultural importance. This city is situated on a hillock beside the royal road, and has the remnants of an older hill-fort plus a newer city below the hillock.

A not so short plug inserted:

Jonstown will be the stage for the Glorantha freeform game we work upon for the German RuneQuest Con 95, in Berlin. We are planning to produce a booklet with background info both in German and English language, for all players participating, and to keep printing costs low we think of producing a lot more than the some 40 copies we need for the game. The freeform is going to be bilingual, probably with the Lunar citizens speaking English. The game is still in the development stage, but I'd like to know how much interest there is among non-Germans to participate in this game (we need to know how to assign the roles), and the German RQ-Convention. 1995 is a Convulsion-free year, but there still is Berlin at Pentecost.

Back to the Sartarite census:
I'd expect Boldhome (listed as a large city in Genertela Book, with Pavis listed as a small city, though without the Rubble) to house about 10,000 individuals, including a sizeable Lunar garrison and some hundred trolls. Alda-chur is the oldest city of Sartar, listed as Medium City, and probably has 5000 to 6000 inhabitants. (Genertela Book states that it follows RQ city size rules. A Small City in RQ has 500 to 3000 inhabitants, a Medium City 2000 to 8000, and a Large City 6000 to 25,000.)

The Holy Country map from RQ Companion shows Duckpoint, Wilm's Church and Swenstown as filled circles, indicating 1100 to 2500 inhabitants, and Clearwine as empty circle, indicating less than 100 inhabitants. Boldhome seems to have a square as its symbol (the right edge of the Quivin Mountains ink-blot has a straight edge about the right size for a city symbol, although this could be just the white background for the letter "B"). If that is true, it has between 7501 and 12500 inhabitants, according to the map key.

I'd expect around 2500 inhabitants each for most of the smaller cities of Sartar (Swenstown, Wilm's Church, Duckpoint), with Alone possibly even smaller (being most recently settled, and far from the major trade routes), and Jonstown maybe a tad larger. Runegate would have been of the same size before the Crimson Bat ate its populace in 1602, but its resettlement hasn't been completed yet.

I find the 900 children mentioned for Clearwine astonishingly many, compared to the 650 adults. However, this report is dated from 1600 ST
(7/29), probably with the king and his hird abroad at war, or returned
from it with heavy losses.

The war of 1602 is likely to have cost the settlement dearly, and the Lunar praxis of carrying off slaves will have done its own to keep population low. The emigration wave after the Starbrow rebellion will have weakened the town further, with Leika Ballista leading off her trusted companions and their families. Thus, in 1621 the adult population possibly is below the 500 mark, and the children might make up say 700.

Now, if we make say 40% of the Sartarite city-dwellers rural population, we get up to 30,000 city-dwellers (180,000 inhabitants of Sartar assumed, 10% of that urban population, i.e. 18,000, and two thirds of that number again rural city-dwellers). Deduct 15,000 for Boldhome and Alda-chur, so this leaves 15,000 for the five small cities
(Jonstown, Wilm's Church, Swenstown, Duck Point and Alone), averaging
at 3000 each. Give or take a few, and the numbers fit.

When calculating the size of the tribal population, don't forget that most Sartarite cities have at least 75% percent tribal population, belonging to one of the adjacent tribes which have been joined by Sartar into the city federations. The Colymar are the notable exception among the Quivini, and the Aldachur tribes (Princeros, Vantaros, Tovtaros, and Dinacoli since their role in the Righteous Wind and Starbrow rebellions, which cost them their influence on the Jonstown federation they had gained in Saronil's reign) are likely to be differently organised as well.

Torkani and Maboder (or however the remnants of this tribe call themselves under Jomes Wulf's reign) are too far from any city to be part of a city federation, thus they will lack a signifincant number of city-dwellers. The Telmori aren't present in any city except in Boldhome, where 100 of their warriors (the Prince's bodyguard) live with their families in the cave complex called Wolf Den.

Not even the larger stockades (Clearwine, Runegate) really would sport an urban population, IMO, they'll just be slightly overgrown farming
(in case of Clearwine, gardening) communities, with the odd seat of a
noble or a temple strewn in.

Thus, we have to divide about 170,000 Sartarites unevenly between 24 tribes, averaging about 7200 people per tribe. The relative strength of the tribes can be estimated from the 1613 numbers of followers given in WF 7 for the Sartar High Council freeform scenario:

Sarostip Coldeye (Humakt cult, Malani tribe): 3,000 Kallai Rockbuster (Colymar tribe, Orlanth Thunderous/Rex cult): 6,500 Hofstaring Tree-Leaper (Culbrea tribe, Orlanth Adventurous cult): 3,300 Gringle Goodsell (Issaries cult, Colymar tribe): 3,300 Tonaling Greathelm (Storm Bull (and Orlanth) cult): 1,000 Minaryth Purple (Lhankor Mhy cult): 3,000 Benava Chan (Ernalda cult, in all tribes, herself from Colymar): 10,000 Erynn Mercy (Chalana Arroy cult, all tribes): 2,000 Joseph Greenface (Duck tribe, Duck Point City): 2,700 Chipmunk Bing (Eurmal Cult): 200 or so
Kallyr Starbrow (Kheldon tribe, Orlanth Thunderous cult): 1700 Garaystar Flatnose (Wilms Church City, Wilms Church federation tribes): 1500

Total 39,200 followers (most likely adults only) from central Old Sartar, excluding the eastern and southern tribes (the Lismelder might be represented by the ducks), and the Tarshite-speaking part of the population.

(In brackets: primary and secondary loyalties of the attendants, and
probably to some extent of their followers)

The 24 tribes of Sartar (city federation, if applicable), with clans where I knew the names, clan numbers from known clans only, populations my _guesses_ based on the above numbers, or on their military strength if recorded elsewhere, with the 5,000 entries average values:

Old Sartar (Quivini): c.130,000 natives, plus 10,000 ducks 10,000 Ducks (Duck Point)
10,000 Lismelder

            8 clans (Greydog, Poss, Hillhaven, Godweaver, Lonendi,
            Bostrop, Marshedge, Goodsword)
16,000  Colymar
            12 clans (Narri, Enhyl, Taraling, Varmandi, Hiording,
            Orlmarth, Arnoring, Ernaldor, Anmagarn, Konthasos,
            Antorling, Enjossi)
 5,000  Locaem (Wilm's Church)
            (clans including the Lysang)
 5,000  Balmyr (Wilm's Church)
            (10 clans in the early 1300s)
 5,000  Kultain (Wilm's Church)

 5,000 Sambari (Wilm's Church)
10,000 Malani (Jonstown)
            8 clans (Arsgol, Bluefox, Isortling, Pant, Orleving,
            Lysang, Namoldin)
 8,000  Cinsina (Jonstown)
            5 clans (Bormelder, Tertorae, Blueberry, Drutorae, Osmann)
 8,000  Culbrea (Jonstown)
            5 clans (Ingling, Gwandor, Ystrad, Elk, Goodhaven)
 3,000  Telmori
 5,000  Torkani
 4,500  Kheldon (Swenstown)
 5,000  Aranwyth (Swenstown)
 5,000  Balkoth (Swenstown)
 5,000  Dundealos (Swenstown)
 7,500  Pol Joni (Prax (Swenstown)
 5,000  unaligned city dwellers

 5,000 Lunar settlers and city dwellers (e.g. Jomes Wulf)  8,000 Lunar occupation troops and officials North Sartar: c.50,000 natives
10,000  Vantaros (Alda-chur)
 8,000  Princeros (Alda-chur)
 8,000  Tovtaros (Alda-chur)
 7,000  Dinacoli
 5,000  Amad (Alone)
 5,000  Tres (Alone)
 5,000  Bachad (Alone)
 2,000  unaligned city dwellers
 6,000  Lunar forces and settlers

(Lunar: both Lunar Theyalans and Heartlanders, including Lunar Tarshite
natives)