Pelorian Mythical Virginity

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 19 Nov 94 11:07:54 EST

Sandy:

> The fact that the Malign Earth Rune appears in both Orlanthi and
> Pelorian cults doesn't mean that it _must_ be a GL artifact.

In fact, anything that appears in Pelorian mythology, symbolism or cults is unlikely to be a God Learner artifact. 'Cos the God Learners never got to Peloria. Which is probably why the "real" Yelmic mythology we're only learning these days (GRAY, DHBE, etc.) is so unlike the monomythic stuff we had before. And why there are few mentions of moons in the monomyth.

A Passing Thought, in re: spirits of reprisal. Are Lunar Baths used to kill off the Impests that swarm on collaborationist ex-Orlanthi?

More seriously, we thought (a while back, and not in depth) that, perhaps as counterweight to having a completely useless Spirit of Reprisal, the Seven Mothers' cult might be able to deflect SoR attacks, or to protect converts from the outrage of their old gods. This would make life a heck of a lot easier for a proselytising, missionary religion. It could also be mythically justified: through the Nysalor connection, or acceptance at Castle Blue. Otherwise, "No way am I joining the Moonies: they all have spots and scabs, and scratch all the time!" Not what happens, I think. Probably the civilised Provincials are less flea-ridden than their hairy cousins; the benefits of Lunar hygiene, sanitation, clothing, dwellings all suggest those who adopt them aren't riddled with vermin, spiritual or otherwise.

Nick