Holy Country refugees.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 06:23:02 GMT

Nick Brooke and Joerg agree(!):

> > We both agree there are social changes afoot
> > in Kethaela, and that some reactionaries pushed off to Dragon Pass.

> Ok. Which changes exactly? Pro-Pharaoh vs. pro-Only Old One factions was
> the war the Dragon Pass immigrants fled from, most likely.

Or alternatively, they may have been simply taking advantage of the chaos an an interregnum to beetle off out of a state they already disliked, at a push. For the Heortlanders, I suspect it wasn't any single major event as progressive disenchantment with increasing Western influence in the river valleys, such as the King getting a bit too feudal for his boots.

> I have been suggested that the settlers of Dragon Pass did emigrate to
> worship Orlanth the old way. I don't claim (any more) that the new way
> is the Aeolian Church, but I'm a bit at a loss what the new way is, then.

I think the (undeniable) Western influence in Heortland isn't so much a (direct) religious one, as a social and military one. If there was a religious effect, I suspect it was a secondary one.

> [...] the Heortland
> Orlanthi (and I don't mean the Hendreiki or the Aeolians) of the 16th
> century are presented somewhat different from those of Sartar.

> They are as urbanised as modern Sartar, which
> makes them radically different from the collection of Quivini tribes before
> Sartar Peacemaker unified them.

You surely _do_ mean the Hendreiki when you're speaking of their urbanisation. (Apart from Whitewall, I suppose.)

> They are organized in only four tribes,
> which makes for an average tribal population of 125,000 people, an order
> of magnitude more than the Sartarite tribes.

You're overlooking a Greg here, Joerg. Their organisation isn't tribal at all, apart from the Volsaxi tribe. (Yup, Greg Gregged G:G...)

Alex.