Sheng and squabbling Orlanthi...

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 21:12:46 +1300

Nick:

>> IMO The Malign Earth Rune came over Pent via Sheng Seleris. I believe
>> that he observed a Pelorian Revolting Peasant Cult of Gorgorma and
>> realized that it was similar to a Kralorelan Revolting Peasant Cult.

>You seriously think the local people would take Genghis Khan's advice on how
>best to revolt against his rule!? Because the new way is easier for him to put
>down!? This is absolutely insane, Peter!!

The idea was that the Gorgorma (Kralori) was introduced by the Secret Police who professed to be Lunar resistance agents. Now I have had some time to think this over, may I propose the following?

The attributes of Gorgorma are determined by how Dendara is worshipped. Thus if one worships Happan Dendara, one gets a Happan Gorgorma uprising. Sheng was aware of this (he's a filthy GL as well as a psychopathic Horse Nomad) and had Kralori techniques to suppress the Kralori Gorgorma. So what he does is go after the Dendara Priestesses and institute a Kralori form of the Cult. As the Priestesses are more visible, Sheng has an easy task of enforcing religious reforms and another Horse Nomad atrocity is performed. Now the Dendara Cult is Kralorenized and his revolting peasant suppression magic works dandy...

>And saying "Gorgorma is a Kralori goddess" means that the Kralori, too,
>have a dualistic Earth Mother whose dark aspect is peasant rebellion and
>female revolt, not that the World-Wide Cult of Gorgorma (TM) has branch
>offices on either side of the great steppes.

What I meant was that Gorgorma is the Dark Side of the Yelm's Wife. Thus as the Wife of such an important god, she qualifies in the Register of World Wide Cults. Since she is a necessary side effect of worshipping Dendara and Dendara is found only in the surviving fragments of Yelm's Empire (Dara Happa and Kralorela), it follows that she is found in those to regions at the start of time. I do agree that the Kralori and Happan forms of the Cults at the Dawn are radically different (like Shargash and Tolat, Lodril and Solf, Elmal and Yelmalio).

>> (Can't have him losing faith because he's incapable of getting the
>> big picture, can we?)

>How does this new theory of yours gel with the known fact that Orlanths
>Adventurous and Thunderous exist as competing cults in some regions?

Out of curiousity, what regions are these? I know it occurs but I don't know where it occurs...

>If the
>deity gives consistent Divination results so as to please all of his
>competing groups of worshippers and minimise 'internal' dissension, this
>situation is unlikely to arise.

How is a Wind Lord going to get a Divination? Through a Godi? What if the Godi says something the Wind lord doesn't like? The Wind Lord disobeys him. The Godi sends Impests after him and..oh look they're fighting already!

Of course, all you God Learners out there will say, 'But why doesn't a Wind Lord sacrifice for a one use Divination to check the Godi out?' Ahh, but that's a Godi spell and he'll have to sacrifice it at a Godi alter. You might as well ask Martin Luther to pray at a Catholic Church to see if the Popes claims were correct! Having posted the above, I wonder why the Wind Lord and Godis don't fight more often...