Ghostbustin'.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 09:48:18 GMT

Colin Watson on what would happen if a Shaman held the spirit of newly-slain human in his fetch:
> A couple of folk understandably suggested that the spirit is a Ghost with
> the abilities thereof. But consider this: traditionally ghosts are capable
> of initiating spirit combat and are able to posess bodies of the living. Why
> don't the spirits of the newly-slain attack their killers to posess them? Or
> is this a common practice?

Not very common, I don't think; I reckon it depends on just how peeved the spirit is, though it'll take some time for the ghost to form anyway. But the very act of binding such a spirit probably _would_ force the spirit to become a ghost; after all, it's no longer a "normal departing human spirit", and is probably not a happy camper, neither.

> It could be that they become Ghosts if they hang around long enough for
> their STR DEX & CON to dissolve; but most choose instead to toddle off
> into the afterlife before then.

Well, ignoring the sly advert for Colin's crackpot theories about muscular spirits ;-), yah. I think spirits are in fact compelled to Go West, and must have some strong reason to be willing and able to resist this. Or be externally counter-compelled, as in this case.

Alex.