Ghostbustin' 2

From: Colin Watson <watson_at_csd.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 18:52:41 GMT

I wondered:
> > Why don't the spirits of the newly-slain attack their killers to posess
> > them? Or is this a common practice?

Alex replied:
> Not very common, I don't think; I reckon it depends on just how peeved
> the spirit is

I think many folks would be Very peeved under the circumstances (having just been killed an' all). But it seems, in the light of recent posts, that the simple precaution of learning Visibility would allow such vengeance anyway. I'm still not too happy with the idea that every human spirit has the spirit-combat/posession abilities of a ghost.

> But the very act of binding such a spirit probably _would_ force the
> spirit to become a ghost;

Not a function of the binding enchantment per se, just one of those abilities which becomes available when the spirit is bound?

> I think spirits are in fact compelled to Go West, and
> must have some strong reason to be willing and able to resist this.

Why do the dead have to leave their self-determinism behind with their bodies?

> ignoring the sly advert for Colin's crackpot theories about muscular
> spirits ;-)

I'll try to be more subliminal next time.

___
CW.