Butting in

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 22 Nov 94 02:39:56 EST

Go West

Alex:
>> I think spirits are in fact compelled to Go West, and must have some >> strong reason to be willing and able to resist this.

Colin:
> Why do the dead have to leave their self-determinism behind with their
> bodies?

Despite my strong belief in self-determination, when I walk down the road my feet are compelled to touch the floor. If natural law insists on some- thing happening, what I may happen to want takes second place.

Interaction

Peter:

>> I don't believe the Malign Earth actually entered Dara Happa from
>> the Orlanthi.  Dara Happa and Orlanthi mainly interacted with each
>> other by trying to put the Boot in.

Sandy:
> This precludes their learning stuff from one another? Do not forget
> that they have spent centuries as allies at various times. Plus let
> us not forget the good ol' hill barbarians of Talastar, Brolia, and
> Aggar -- these guys were never a serious threat to the Dara Happans,
> and some interaction could take place there, too.

The hotbed of interaction was the old kingdom of Saird. In the tenth and eleventh centuries, the royal house of Saird was related to that of Dara Happan and fought side by side with them against the evil EWF. IMHO they spent a while time reconciling their own kingship myths, explaining the present "Yelm and Orlanth" cycle. Out West, the Carmanians (also related) were doing the same thing, and the "Carmanian Lightbringer Cycle" comes out of this synthesis. Gentler than the God Learners...

Nick