Monks

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 17:05:36 +0800

        On the subject of monks, their political role is quite interesting. Japan, of course, had a very active tradition of monkhood as the polite way to retire from political life. It has also ocurred in parts of Europe, I am fairly sure.

        In fact I heard of a king (name or time unable to remember, but mediaeval European) who pulled of the clever diplomatic feat of effectively disposing of his predecessor without having all his allies break into war by forcibly shaving his head, and forcing him into monkdom. Several years later, ironically a young upstart repeats the manouvre by drugging him and then shaving him as he sleeps.

        I think the Western monks should be developed. But I am not sure that the Monks are necessarily the magically inept - perhaps not the practical talented high flyers, but their religious devotion (and monasteries are definately a good place to put the embarrasingly devout) should endow them with some magic, by normal Gloranthan metaphysics. Perhaps they are the centres of many of the Saint cults?

        They should retain their function of centres of learning as well, so perhaps a few very skilled, if not well supported, sorcerers can be found within. Or maybe there is some use of some form of ommunal magic in the monasteries (massed groups of chanting monks).

        Or maybe even all of these apply to different orders.
        Cheers
                Dave Cake