Monks and Savages...

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 22:12:29 +1300

Sandy:

Simon Hibbs Writes in a similar vein.

>Peter Metcalfe foolishly disagrees with something I said:
>>You are seriously sugesting that monkhood is made of a majority of
>>nohopers? ... I would put the monks at the TOP of the scale.
> Not at all -- I'm just saying that you don't need
>high-powered magical abilities to "achieve" monkhood, which you _do_
>need in order to be a functioning wizard.

This is getting too close to the RW for my view which was the point of my objection. I wanted something more gloranthified.

>...And lets not forget the
>Yamabushi. While Malkioni monks may not be able to wield sword and
>shield, they can certainly hire ruffians and support them with their
>magic.

Can they use maces? [Sarcasm Mode OFF]

>>There is IMO no female equivalent of a Monastic retreat.
> Why not? Female hermits were not unknown in Malorian England,
>for instance.

We were discussing *Rokari* religious orders, were we not? Personally I feel with the rampant sexism in Seshnela, Female religious orders would be seen as a vile persion of IG's way and not supported by the Rokari Church. Female Hermits may exist in Seshnela, but IMO, they would be viewed as heretics at the best.

>>I don't believe the Malign Earth actually entered Dara Happa from
>>the Orlanthi. Dara Happa and Orlanthi mainly interacted with each
>>other by trying to put the Boot in.

> This precludes their learning stuff from one another? Do not
>forget that they have spent centuries as allies at various times.

The Fruits of the Empire of Light were destroyed by Arkat. The Fruits of the EWF vanished in 1043 ST thanks to ol' Slissy tongue himeself.

>Plus let us not forget the good ol' hill barbarians of Talastar,
>Brolia, and Aggar -- these guys were never a serious threat to the
>Dara Happans, and some interaction could take place there, too.

Like learning how to work metal, wash behind the ears and light a bonfire from the Dara Happans. Yep, I certainly agree that the savages of Brolia could have learnt something from Dara Happa. The point is whether they are cultured... I'm sorry... intelligent... whoops... *literate* enough to actually comprehend the purpose and need of runes.