dendara and crocociles

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 13:37:11 +1300

Ralf Engels:

>> Since she is a necessary side effect of worshipping
>> Dendara and Dendara is found only in the surviving fragments of Yelm's
>> Empire _(Dara Happa and Kralorela)_, it follows that she is found in those
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> to regions at the start of time.

>What about Teshnos ? Or is this part subsumed under the mention of Kralo-
>rela?

No it is not. I don't know too much about Teshnos to generalize. Nils W. is better qualified. IMO as Teshnos derives it's core truths from Dayzatar, it appears that Yelm's Rightful Government in this area was overthrown unlike Dara Happa and Kralorela.

>Dendara is not explicitly stated to be worshipped in Teshnos in the G:Cothw;
>
> [Deletions]
>
>Or even standard variety Dendara worship without the associated land god-
>dess, the latter only reached indirectly via the embyli (as was proposed
>somewhat earlier, I think by Joerg or Nils W)? Something even more compli-
>cated ?

I just had the brilliant brainwave. In Japan the Sun Goddess is feminine. Who is better than Dendara for this role? This would mean that Dendara was actually the Sun Cult of the Yellow Elves. Solf would be relegated to the Military aspects. The Embyli view Dendara (find some other name) as the Sun not Solf. This slots in nicely in how Teshnos has fire worship and yet can grow crops. So in addition to Denadar the Sun's Wife in Dara Happa and Teshnos, we also have Dendara the Sun who is found wherever the Embyli are found.

The God learners and drunken Grey Sages who looked at Teshnos saw Solf as Yelm thus had no need to ask about who the sun was. Likewise for the yellow elves. Now all we have to do is figure out why Dara Happa and Kralorela saw Dendara as the Sun's Wife. Perhaps the Embyli think that Aldrya is Dendara's daughter?

>Ah, and by the way: Would the Teshnan "Gorgoma" still be " eater of horses",
>or perhaps the "malign eater of elephants" ?

<G> Definitely! Why Not!

Harald:

>I would contend the following for the [Arcos] river valley:
>1) it contains intelligent river/sea life (unlike the Oslir valley
>where the Conquering Daughter drove such out--therefore arrival of the
>Conquering Daughter along the Arcos would portend conflict)

Try the Crocodile Hsunchen. They worship Varnaga who appears on Gods Wall IV-III. They were wiped out in the Oslir during the Dragon Wars but may live on in the Arcos.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #15