Ghosts & a female sun.

From: yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 94 15:33:16 GMT

David Cake (I think) :

>It could be that they become Ghosts if they hang around long enough for
>their STR DEX & CON to dissolve; but most choose instead to toddle off into the
>afterlife before then.

Argh. Spirits with physical characteristics again. If a creature has physical characteristics, then surely it should be tangible and subject to being hit. Otherwise, what are the characteristics reffering to. The ability to imbue a body with a particular characteristic once possessed is quite a different story.

On the subject of creating ghosts :

I assume that the creation of a Ghost is unusual, and often (if not always) is accomplished using the Create Ghost rune spell and similar high-power magic. Troll cults such as Zorak Zoran can certainly do this. I don't think it can be done almost at will by shamans and the like, they have to get appropriate magic. The spirit plane as we know it is the domain of temporarily disembodied spirits and permanent spirit plane residents. The newly dead probably go streight to the heroplane/hell, bypassing the spirit plane alltogether.

I would imagine that the victim of Create Ghost type magic would be allowed a DI to resist it. Humakti of course are immune to such magic.

I know that the Ghost description talks about them being created in high stress situations. This may be simulated by allowing a recently slain character to DI for Ghost status. This offers the interesting possibility of PC Ghosts.

Peter Metcalfe :

>We were discussing *Rokari* religious orders, were we not? Personally I feel
>with the rampant sexism in Seshnela, Female religious orders would be seen as
>a vile persion of IG's way and not supported by the Rokari Church.

It's not as if we are proposing they should have their own ordained orders, just somewhere to put them out of the way where you can forget about them.

> The point is whether they are
>cultured... I'm sorry... intelligent... whoops... *literate* enough to
>actually comprehend the purpose and need of runes.

What has literacy got to do with runes?

>I just had the brilliant brainwave. In Japan the Sun Goddess is feminine.
>Who is better than Dendara for this role?

Makes sense. Many terran cultures have ancient, mostly forgotten, myths of a female sun goddess. I believe the orriginal Little Red Ridinghood tale, in which she bursts out of the slain wolf's belly, is believed by some to be a remnant of a myth of a female sun. (Female sun is shining along when she is swallowed by a big nasty wolf, thus plunging the world into darkness. Along comes our hero woodsman who dispatches the wolf and brings light back to the world. Something like that.) Anyone want to do a Dendara and the big bad troll story? Perhaps with Orlantio as the rescuing huntsman!

I believe Arachne Solara to be the primal sun goddess, though her orriginal myth cycle is long lost now.

Simon Hibbs
yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk