Literacy and Monks.

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 1994 13:50:42 +1300

Simon Hibbs:

I said:

>>We were discussing *Rokari* religious orders, were we not? Personally I feel
>>with the rampant sexism in Seshnela, Female religious orders would be seen as
>>a vile persion of IG's way and not supported by the Rokari Church.

Simon replied:

>It's not as if we are proposing they should have their own ordained orders,
>just somewhere to put them out of the way where you can forget about them.

"...And then they'll start plotting and praticing Witchcraft! We can't have that! Who knows WHERE it may end up! Babies with snakes for legs! URGGHH! Nay, I say, Proper supervision is only fit and proper for them...'

        An anonymous advisor to the Ecclesiarch of the Rokari Church

>> The point is whether they are
>>cultured... I'm sorry... intelligent... whoops... *literate* enough to
>>actually comprehend the purpose and need of runes.

>What has literacy got to do with runes?

This debate has lost its tenor now that Nick has pointed that Saird was the place in which Happan and Theyalan fusion took place. However to answer your question as they're illiterate, they won't generally keep track on the precise meaning of words and only concentrate on their topology: ie they would treat p,q,b,d as the same rune.

Under such circumstances, I find it hard to imagine, that they would try to develop a liking for the meticulous and seemingly irrelevancy of the Dara Happan Rune Lore.