Relight my fire ...

From: a2230798_at_athena.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 1994 14:30:15 +0100 (MEZ)

Yes, Ralf Engels typing,

to respond to the many more kindly souls who indulged in my musings.

David Cake

Thanks for the correction and the bit about the lunar Gorgoma. The possibi- lity of her (latent) consumption of domesticated beasts of burden fits my bill.

Nils Weinander

> In my view of Teshnos Somash is the god of the warrior caste, which now is
> more of a nobles' caste, while Zitro Argon is the god of the 'priestly'
> caste.

How exactly do you define 'caste'? Do you change your caste when you get an elder and switch to Zitro Argon/ the 'priestly' caste ? Or are you born into your caste and stay there ? I understood the matter to be the former case.

Somash in my picture is the "executive branch" of the Teshnan hierarchy, but not the ruling deity. That's still Zitro Argon, IMO.

> The question where the women belong is a more difficult one. They might go
> for the deity of their caste.

Women worshipping Somash ? Well, nah, can't bite this. I even think that the old women worship Zitro Argon indirectly via >Ourania<.

> ..., they might be relegated to the socially inferior Calyz cult, or they
> may have more insignificant female deities which are not mentioned in the
> Genertela book.

Calyz directly ? After all, he's male and possibly not the epitome of the _female_ virtues. Or is he androgyne in your picture ? (?(!)) The insignificant female deities were the ones I think I was asking about. How to put them into the mainframe of Glorantha ?

Does the Night Caste practice witchcraft (though persecuted, I have no doubt) and Spirit Cult Worship, say perhaps of >Gorgoma< ?

Nick Brooke

> Sedenya.

(Who ?) Is she the sun goddess of all the elves, including the embyli ? I think I'm lacking your source here.

> Eating horses scares horse-nomads who depend on them. We don't yet know
> about any Teshnans who are *that* dependent on elephants.
> And horse-eating is Yara Aranis' specialty, not Gorgoma's, making the pa-
> rallel suspect.

Your correction re: horse-eating appreciated. Yet I think that >Gorgoma< had/has some devouring aspect as well as being rebellious, preferring a beast of burden for a ritual snack perhaps. And IMO elephants are THE beast of burden in Teshnos, used for transport as well as for building purposes, whereas horses or Praxian beasts are probably unsuited for the Teshnan climate.  And as the poor elephants are used exclusively for the benefit of the ruling castes, I suspect that the Night Casters might feel no hesitation to present them as food to the night demon otherwise known as >Gorgoma<.

Harald Smith

Heartily agree regarding your notion of Dayzatar the first born.

This for a start ...

                                R.